Evaluating the SCAMPI app in people’s homes: Invitation to participate
We are looking for volunteers to try using SCAMPI in their homes for a few weeks. We want to find out how well it works, whether it is easy to use, and whether it is worthwhile.
One day we also hope to link SCAMPI to simple home sensors. Sensors are often used in the homes of older people. SCAMPI can use data from sensors about the activities that you undertake. We want to explore how well these sensors can detect different activities. If you take part, we would like to install up to 10 sensors in your home (with damage free fixings). You will not need to do anything with them and they will be removed at the end of the study.
Who could be a participant?
For trial purposes we are looking for people aged 51 – 80 and who represent our target audience:
- With early stage dementia, OR with early or well controlled Parkinson’s, OR with no chronic disease but active and willing to try the new technology!
- With home internet, who live in Suffolk or an easy commute from the City campus and are happy to have the technology at home, use it and give feedback to the visiting researcher.
- Who can commit for up to 10 weeks … we offer ‘LovetoShop’ vouchers as reimbursement.
What would a user-trial involve?
- Weeks 1 – 2. Keep a simple daily diary and tell the researcher about yourself (e.g. your interests, health, and what makes you tick!). Someone who supports you, such as a family member or friend can become a participant too – we welcome their opinion about your use of SCAMPI.
- Weeks 2 – 3 – We provide the tablet computer and temporarily install the sensors in your home. We show you how to use SCAMPI on the tablet, and set it up with information about you, so that you can start to use it.
- Weeks 4 up to 10. We will visit your home every week or two (depending on how you are getting on) to ask about how you’re finding it. At some stage nearing week 10 we will remove the tablet and sensors (ensuring no damage) … and get your final feedback.
When the research is complete you are also entitled to a summary report of the evaluation.
Sign-up and contact
If you think you might be interested please contact the researcher Sophie Hide on 07776660625 or firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
She will talk with you about the study and the range of information we are looking for. She will also describe how we collect information about you, how we keep it safe, and how we report findings anonymously. She will also describe the plans in place to manage any possible risks that might arise. If you and a support person decide to go ahead we will ask each of you to sign a consent form. This is a requirement of any research trial. Even if you start the study you may withdraw from the evaluation at any time over the 10 weeks.
You can also access this SCAMPI Evaluation Invitation as a PDF document.